For the vadas (makes 8)
- ¾ cup urad dal (split black lentils)
- ¼ teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon ginger-green chilli paste
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups finely chopped California walnuts
To be mixed into a curds mixture
- 1 cup whisked curd (dahi)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- A pinch of black salt
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep-frying
- Chilli powder for sprinkling
- Roasted cumin seeds (jeera) powder for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped coriander
For the vadas
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water in a deep bowl for 2 hours.
- Drain well and blend in a mixer to a coarse paste using ¼ cup of water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the asafoetida, ginger-green chilli paste, salt, finely chopped California walnuts and 1½ tablespoon of water and mix well.
- Wet a deep ladle with little water, pour 1 tablespoon of the batter in it and drop it in hot oil. Deep-fry on a medium flame till it turns golden brown in colour from all the sides. Upto 2 to 3 such stuffed vadas can be deep-fried at a time in a batch.
- Soak the deep-fried vadas immediately in a bowlful of water for 20 mins.
- Squeeze out and drain all the excess water by pressing the vadas gently between your palms. Keep aside.
- Repeat steps 5 and 7 to make more stuffed vadas.
How to serve
- Just before serving arrange 2 vadas in a serving dish and spread 1 portion of the curds mixture evenly over it.
- Finally sprinkle a little chilli powder and cumin seeds powder evenly over it.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.