- 300 g beetroot
- 150 g spring onion
- 50 g barley
- 100 g California walnuts
- 50 g rucola leaves
- 5 ml lemon juice
- 1 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 5 g thyme, rosemary
- Salt, pepper
- Soak the barley overnight. Boil for 15 minutes until cooked but not soft. Strain and add some olive oil to prevent sticking. Keep aside.
- Wrap each beetroot with the thyme and rosemary and a drop of olive oil individually in aluminium foil and roast in the oven at 175°C for 1 1/2 hours or until soft. Remove from the foil and peel off the skin.
- Chop the green off the spring onion. Blanch the white bulbs in vinegar and salt for 3 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
- Wash the rucola leaves and leave them in ice water to crisp up. Dry in a cloth or salad spinner. Mix lemon juice and olive oil in a bowl for the dressing.
- Add salt and pepper. Cut the beetroot into large chunks. Add barley, toasted California walnuts and spring onions. Toss with the rucola. Drizzle the dressing on top and mix the whole salad.